A note to instructors. Teaching cognitive psychology? Looking for a
readable, comprehensive, modern text that would help the reader achieve genuine that is,
computational understanding of cognition? Consider
adopting Computing the Mind (see below) as your text.
- Computational Principles of Psychology (Psych 3140).
- Imagination and Creativity (Topics in Cognitive Science, COGST 4310, crosslisted as: PSYCH 4320, LING 4310, BIONB 4330).
- Psychology of Power and Inequality (Psych 4030): M 2:00-4:25 (room TBA).
Spring 2013: sabbatical.
For prospective graduate students: IMAGINE, or,
how to get the best of two worlds.
and Recognition in Vision (MIT
Press, 1999): see
of contents and introduction;
read online (for CogNet subscribers; if you connect from cornell.edu,
Computing the Mind (Oxford
University Press, 2008): see table of contents; read reviews;
visit Facebook Page; see corrigenda. Used for teaching
at Cornell since 2006 (now also at NYU, Buffalo, BU,
and Wells). ||
The Happiness of Pursuit (Basic Books, February 2012). A Kirkus starred selection and Must-Read in new nonfiction (Feb. 16). See this book's own webpage. Jan. 2013: now available in Italian.
Being in Time: Dynamical Models of Phenomenal
Experience (John Benjamins, July 2012; Advances in Consciousness Research, vol. 88): see table of contents.
A link to another book that I co-edited, Language Universals (2009), can be
found on my Amazon Author page.
This space is intermittently under
construction. Meanwhile, here's some pseudorandom selection of content:
- Some of the photographs from my albums:
- Photos shared on Facebook
- Photos shared on Flickr
- Photos shared on my server:
- Death Valley NP (March 2008)
Canyon (Death Valley NP, March 2009)
- the Negev
Desert in May
- Tabletop Mountain Wilderness, AZ
- Mt. Ajo, Organ Pipe National Monument, AZ
- Echo Canyon, Chiricahua National Monument, AZ
- wadi Roded, the Lost
Canyon, and wadi Shehoret, near Eilat, Israel
wadi Arugot, near Ein Gedi, Israel [photos scanned from old color prints]
talks and stuff
Cycling around Ithaca,
Life, universe, and everything:
- General-purpose programming:
- Exploratory data analysis and statistics:
- The R language environment
(as powerful as the best commercial packages, and infinitely more
- Language acquisition:
- The ADIOS (Automatic
DIstillation Of Structure) software package.
Child Language Data Exchange System (corpora and software).
(the best text editor in
the world, free).
- ESS: Emacs
- SLIME: the Superior Lisp Interaction Mode for Emacs.
(production-quality typesetting, free). If you have a Mac,
get MacTex; if not,
get a Mac first.
- The memoir class for typesetting books, poetry, and much
- The Scrivener
software from the Literature and Latte project.
- (Natural) Philosophy
- People (alphabetically by last name)
- Poetry (selections)
- Prose (selections)
- Music (selections)
- Online libraries:
- Periodicals and blogs
- سلام, שלום
- Peace rally at the Rabin Square, Tel Aviv, 12
November 2005: שיר לשלום [Shir
la-Shalom, Peace Song] (Quicktime, 22MB; performed by Miri Aloni, with
200,000 friends, including President Bill Clinton and Senator Hillary Rodham
- Family and friends
© 1999-2012 Shimon Edelman (שמעון אדלמן, Шимон Александр Эдельман, 에델만시몬). Permission is granted to copy, distribute
and/or modify this document (namely, the information on this site,
including specifically the lecture material and the teaching aids therein)
under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any
later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no
Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is
included in the
section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License".
Last modified on Wed Apr 3 16:12:00 2013